Back to Precomp
22.02.2019 - Precomp v0.4.7
- Merge with the excellent preflate library to support recompression of all zLib streams - thanks to Dirk Steinke
- Support lzma filters (-lf) for improved compression of executables, audio and structured data (issue #75)
- Support for zLib streams larger than 2 GB (see issue #65)
- Changed to CMake for easier builds
- Fixed crashes when running multiple instances of Precomp in the same directory (see issue #87)
- Corrected -pdfbmp statistics (see issue #27)
- Discard insufficient partial bZip2 matches (see commit 138c107) - thanks to Gonzalo Munoz
- Several minor bugs and memory leaks fixed (thanks to Gonzalo Munoz and Dirk Steinke)
- Also see closed issue list at GitHub
25.09.2017 - Precomp v0.4.6
- Using liblzma for on-the-fly compression (-cl) - thanks to sftt
- Reduced temporary files usage
- Much faster intense and brute mode
- Intense and brute mode can be combined now for best results
- Smoother progress indicator, second progress indicator in lzma mode
- Flag -e to preserve file extension (file.ext => file.ext.pcf instead of file.pcf) - thanks to guptaprince
- JPG detection faster and more reliable - thanks to Marcio Pais
- Updated zlib to 1.2.11
- Show Precomp version together with OS type (Linux/Windows) and 32/64 bit information
- Fixed crashes on certain files (Issue #52, Issue #59)
- Fixed incorrect restoration of a PNG multi file
- Also see closed issue list at GitHub
08.05.2016 - Precomp v0.4.5
- Updated packJPG to 2.5k, packMP3 to 1.0g
- Windows version compiled using GCC/G++ 5.3.0 (before: 4.8.1)
- 32-bit and 64-bit versions (~10-20% faster on 64-bit machines)
- SWF support adjusted to newer versions
- MP3 support
- MP3 and JPG recompression without temporary files for sizes up to 64 MB
- Fixed memory corruption in packJPG that led to crashes
- Fixed Base64 streams not being restored correctly in recursion
- Also see closed issue list at GitHub
14.01.2016 - Precomp v0.4.4
- First open source release
- Updated libraries (PackJPG, zLib, bZip2)
- Conversion switch -n reports filesize now
01.09.2012 - Precomp v0.4.3
- Linux: Added JPG recompression using PackJPG, full compatibility of Windows and Linux PCF files
- Linux: zLib routines are now as fast as under Windows
- Windows: Locked files can be read now, multiple Precomp instances can work on the same file
- Windows: Static zLib and PackJPG linking (no DLLs needed)
- Major GIF rewrite, Precomp now recompresses most GIF files completely
- New switch -n for conversion of PCF files (bZip2 <-> no compression)
- Compression switch -c uses n (none) instead of - now
- Improved timing behaviour and activity indicator updates
- Updated to PackJPG 2.5, this fixes JPG crashes
- JPG misdetections are now visible in statistics
- Filenames are stored in their original case now to improve platform compatibility
- Fixed a bug with GIF files at positions above 2 GB
- Fixed a bug that led to unnecessary data in PCF files
- Fixed a bug in Base64 routines that freezed Precomp
25.09.2011 - Precomp v0.4.2
- Linux version!
- Added CTRL-C detection and temporary files cleanup.
- Added activity indicator.
- Added optional recursion depth limit for intense and brute mode.
- Added longhelp switch.
- Renamed -l (recursion level) to -d (recursion depth).
- Renamed -slow to -intense.
- Changed percentage display to use 2 decimal places.
- Streams that can be completely recompressed are processed about 30% faster now.
- Various small bugs fixed that led to incorrect recompression.
20.12.2010 - Precomp v0.4.1
- ZLIB1.DLL is needed again - static linking led to crashes in some cases.
- New switch -c for on-the-fly compression, bZip2 used by default ("-c-" restores old behaviour).
- Old switches -c and -m merged to the new -zl ("zlib levels") switch.
- Fixed bugs in multi PNG, GIF and penalty bytes handling that led to differences in the recompressed file.
- Time output is human readable now.
- Various small bugfixes.
21.03.2009 - Precomp v0.4
- New switch -mjpeg for MJPEG recompression support.
- Added recursion (aka multi-pass).
- Added MIME Base64 streams support.
- Added bZip2 streams support.
- Added batch file errorlevels.
- Improved GIF support for partial matches.
- Linked zLib library static - ZLIB1.DLL is not needed anymore.
- Fixed bug that slowed down Precomp for files larger than 4 GB.
21.07.2008 - Precomp v0.3.8
- Files larger than 2 GB supported.
- Support for SWF files without slow mode.
- Updated packJPG to inofficial version 2.4WIP4 which improves compression ratio for JPGs a bit.
- New switches -pdfbmp (see prepaq v2) and -progonly (recompress only progressive JPG files, useful to leave the other ones for PAQ).
- Speed up for decompression (30-150%).
- Speed up for slow and brute mode (up to 4 times faster).
- Dynamic temporary filenames, it is possible now to run multiple Precomp instances in the same directory.
- Error message if not enough space left on disk.
15.01.2008 - prepaq v2 (paq8o8pre v2)
- Added prepaq v2. Images in PDF files are now wrapped inside a BMP header to improve compression and speed.
08.11.2007 - prepaq (paq8o8pre)
- Added prepaq (paq8o8pre) by Jan Ondrus. This combines Precomp 0.3.7 and paq8o8 by Matt Mahoney.
05.11.2007 - Precomp v0.3.7, lprepaq v1.3 - JPG bugfix
- JPG detection improved to avoid passing invalid JPGs to packJPG resulting in a crash.
31.10.2007 - Precomp v0.3.7, lprepaq v1.3
- Precomp version is now shown if a PCF file was made with a different version.
- Added progressive JPG detection.
- Updated packJPG to version 2.3 which is 10% faster than version 2.2 and supports progressive JPG files.
- Switched compiler for both Precomp and lprepaq to MinGW g++.
- Combined lpaq6 by Matt Mahoney and Precomp v0.3.7 to lprepaq v1.3.
01.10.2007 - lprepaq v1.2
- Speeded up lprepaq compression speed slightly (around 10%).
29.09.2007 - lprepaq v1.2
- Added Precomp switches to lprepaq.
- Fixed lprepaq crashes.
22.08.2007 - Precomp v0.3.6, lprepaq v1.1
- Improved JPG handling for JPG files with multiple SOI markers.
- Combined lpaq1 by Matt Mahoney and Precomp v0.3.6 to lprepaq v1.1.
20.08.2007 - Precomp v0.3.5, lprepaq v1.0
- Fixed a bug in GIF handling that sometimes led to a crash (thanks to Stephan Busch).
- Combined lpaq1 by Matt Mahoney and Precomp v0.3.5 to lprepaq v1.0.
17.08.2007 - Precomp v0.3.4
- Fixed packJPG 2.2 DLL that crashed under Windows XP.
14.08.2007 - Precomp v0.3.4
- Updated packJPG to version 2.2 which is faster and compresses better than version 2.0.
- After compression, a summary of stream types detected is shown.
- Fixed a bug in the GIF routine that lead to a crash sometimes (thanks to Radek "Black_Fox" Liska).
16.07.2007 - Precomp v0.3.3
- Added JPG support using packJPG by Matthias Stirner.
- Added brute mode.
- Speeded up slow mode.
- Fixed ignore list that didn't work in v0.3.2.
20.06.2007 - Precomp v0.3.2
- Speeded up Precomp a lot (sometimes 10-20 times faster).
- Added slow mode.
- Added GIF compression.
- PNG files with multiple IDAT chunks are now handled correctly ("multiPNG").
- Fixed a rare bug that destroyed bit-to-bit-identity.
- Fixed some cases in which Precomp Comfort didn't wait for a keypress.
- Renamed Precomp.ini to Precomf.ini.
- Filename is now stored in lower case.
16.11.2006 - Precomp v0.3.1
- Added fast mode.
- Added GZip support.
- Added several parameters.
- Split to normal and comfort version.
- Penalty byte method added. Leads to better compression.
- Switch -d changed to -r (it is restoring/recompressing, not decompressing).
- Temporary files renamed to ~tempX.dat instead of tempX.dat.
- Several memory leaks fixed.
- PCF header changed.
11.09.2006 - Precomp v0.3
- Fastened up Precomp a lot.
- Overwrite check added.
06.09.2006 - Precomp v0.2
- Fastened up and cleaned the code a bit.
- Added stream statistics.
- Drag and drop support.
- Header for PCF files.
01.09.2006 - Precomp v0.1
- ZIP support
- Parameters -c and -m added